Comprehensive Dental Exam
Comprehensive Dental Exams in Northern Virginia
Routine dental exams help detect problems early on when they’re most easily treatable.
Regular visits to dentist are essential for healthy teeth. Even if you have never had a single cavity, it is important to see your dentist to prevent any future oral care issues. Routine dental cleanings not only help keep your family’s teeth healthy, but also establish a lifetime of healthy choices for your children.
Regular dental exams help protect your oral health and general well-being. A dental exam gives your dentist a chance to provide tips on caring for your teeth and to detect any problems early on when they’re most easily treatable.
Dental Exams in Lorton, Woodbridge, and Stafford, VA
During a dental exam, the dentist or hygienist will likely discuss your diet and oral hygiene habits and might demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques. Other topics for discussion might include lifestyle factors that can affect oral health and possible cosmetic improvements to your teeth.
A comprehensive dental exam is performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): X-rays can diagnose problems otherwise unnoticed, such as damage to jawbones, impacted teeth, abscesses, cysts or tumors, and decay between the teeth.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces are to be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the neck, lips, tongue, throat, oral mucosa, face, and gums for any signs of oral cancer. Our goal is to discover oral, head and neck cancers early, before patients present complaining of pain, a mass, bleeding, otalgia, or dysphagia.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Bite Check: Check bite and jaw issues.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current Fillings, Bridges, Crowns, and Implants, etc.
- Any Changes: Discuss any changes you have noticed since your last visit.
- Professional Dental Cleaning: Professional dental cleanings are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment includes a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus: Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: We remove stains and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.